Light Rail Supporters: “We can build 27km of LRT for the same cost as 17km of SkyTrain”
FACT: A SkyTrain + BRT system would link all of the same communities and potentially more.
- Light Rail trains will create few travel time benefits over existing rapid buses
- Light Rail will miss many communities like Cloverdale, South Surrey and Scottsdale. Bus Rapid Transit could expand to these communities with no transfers.
- Light Rail will require a driver on each train and new maintenance facilities, increasing ongoing operating and maintenance costs
- Alternatives like Bus Rapid Transit provide the same benefits as an LRT but offer superior flexibilities like the ability to detour around accidents.
- With high annual operating costs, Light Rail will prevent further expansion of the city-wide bus system.
Myth #3: LRT links the most communities with rapid transit