It will take decades to truly offset the costs of an LRT.
With lower transportation benefits and less ridership, an LRT won't be able to create an offset to its cost.
- Surrey Rapid Transit Study anticipated a negative benefit-cost ratio of just 0.69:1
- Net present value was estimated at negative (-) $510 million dollars.
- Benefits will not exceed costs within 30 years of operation.
- Cost per added transit passenger is twice as much as SkyTrain extension.
- Poor business case harms potential for senior-level government funding.
* Detailed business case estimates were provided on page 369 of the Surrey Rapid Transit Study – accessible [HERE].