SkyTrain for Surrey has launched a new informational video to highlight major issues with the Light Rail proposal in Surrey that was recently endorsed by the Conservative Party.
The new video highlights numerous issues with the Light Rail proposal that we have raised throughout the year. These include:
- Surveys have shown that transit riders in Metro Vancouver care about travel time the most. A slow, street-level LRT with more stops will not attract high ridership.
- The 1st phase LRT is only a 1 minute improvement over the current 96 B-Line.
- The 2nd phase LRT will unnecessarily remove hundreds of trees in Green Timbers Forest
- $22 million will be required annually to pay for LRT operating deficits (TransLink study)
- It would cost taxpayers nearly $100 million per year if LRT is financed as a P3.
- LRT will cause mayhem in Guildford with the closure of a traffic lane on 104 Ave.
- A recent Surrey LRT “economic study” completely disregarded transportation aspects.
- Vulnerability to vehicle-train collisions, and service disruptions due to track blockage.
We continue to urge SkyTrain and Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), which has been examined in a previous study, as a solution that will offer faster, reliable and more practical transit for Surrey.
For additional info, contact: Daryl Dela Cruz, Campaign Manager – Better Surrey Rapid Transit.
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org